Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Kidney stones - and about 7 more weeks of this!

Yesterday was kind of a crazy day. After I wrote yesterday's blog, I actually got a little housework done. I cooked dinner knowing that Brian could just reheat his and eat it after Baby Basics class. 

Well, a few times during the day I had a sharp, stabbing pain in my right side. I convinced myself it was just a weird pregnancy thing. But when I was cooking dinner it was pretty painful. And it didn't just last a few minutes. I'd stop moving for a second and do some of the breathing techniques we learned in class. It's actually pretty interesting (and I actually learned this as a laser tech) that people have the tendency to forget to breathe when they are in pain. The breathing actually helped a little.

But then the pain became even more constant. When we were in class, I was having a little trouble focusing. I mentally debated asking Brian if we could leave. But we paid 24 bucks for this, and I needed to learn this stuff. Though, I also thought about telling the nurse who was teaching because it was really unpleasant.

Well, the worst came when we were winding down before bed. It hurt like hell. I couldn't lay on my right side. It was hard to breathe. I told Brian something had to be wrong. And of course everything online said pregnant women with sharp pain in their side should immediately seek medical help. I was looking for some affirmation. I needed to know that I wasn't nuts if I called my doctor. Brian told me it was probably just the baby sitting on a nerve. I told him that I just didn't think that was it; it really hurt. He told me to take Benadryl and sleep through the pain. I already had a doctors appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning so I should tough out the next 10 hours.

I took the Benadryl. And I must've just drifted off to dreamland quickly.

It didn't last long though. 45 minutes after popping the pills I woke up choking and gasping for air. I knew I was choking on my own vomit. I could taste it. Instinctively I gasped for air and kept trying to swallow as I ran to the bathroom. Brian asked if I was ok, and I shook my head. No, I'm not ok. He started to fall back asleep, and I didn't make it to the toilet before throwing up this clear sticky stuff in my hands. I told Brian, "something is really wrong. I think I need to go to urgent care." Imagine taking two Benadryl, being in a fog and being terrified. You feel this stabbing, you're worried about yourself and your baby. You're so afraid to fall back asleep out of fear of choking again.

He slept like a log. I took my temperature. Normal. I inspected my tummy to see if there was any redness, hardness or anything I could visibly see. I asked Brian to look so he woke up for a minute, felt my stomach and said it felt fine. 

I got back in bed. 3 pillows under me so I wouldn't choke. And I whispered to Brian that I loved him. There was a panicked part of me that was afraid of not waking up. 

Well, I lived to tell about it. But when I got to the doctor I told them, "I have to tell you about my crazy night." I told them everything. They inspected my kidneys during the ultrasound, and apparently they found something on the right one (some long medical jargon). They found my ureter was stretched out and open - the opposite of the closed ureters pregnant women usually have. It is usually closed because the uterus puts so much pressure on it. Mine was open, they said from passing a stone. Yeah, imagine something that is normally closed due to a uterus weighing on it, being stretched out. No wonder it hurt like a mother fucker. They inspected my urine. Something was wrong with it - white cells, platelettes, jargon I didn't get. They got another sample to send out for inspection. And they put me on antibiotics to prevent a kidney infection, if I don't already have one. I'm hoping their diagnosis is correct. To be honest, the area of pain made me think preeclampsia.

I told the doctor how Brian always reminds me that he knows how bad labor hurts because he had a kidney stone. The doctor gave me the "oh, silly men" look that all smart women know. I told her I was going home to tell him that I passed a stone, while pregnant, with no help from urgent care. Boom. Owned. 

Morals of the story:
1. Don't take Benadryl for pain. Call the damn doctor! Who cares if it even is a false alarm. Good lord, if I listen to my husband again I'll be popping Benadryl for contractions!! Plus, now I'm on antibiotics. If I hadn't already had an appointment for today this could have lead to big, big trouble.
2. Women are stronger than men. I kind of already knew that. 
3. Drink water. As much as you can fit in yourself. Cause those little bitches hurt. 

Ugh, fly by next 7 weeks! I'll tell you, after telling Brian last night that I'm not doing this again, I am so convinced that this is all she wrote, folks. One and done - for the win. And if Brian wants a son, I'm 100% cool with getting a boy dog :) 

1 comment: