Friday, January 17, 2014

The empty hospital bag.

So at 37 weeks, 1 day, my hospital bag has nothing in it. Most first time moms generally pack early to have all their bases covered. Second time moms usually say they like to be packed around the time they are full term. And I'm the weirdo who can't pack her bag.

I am a planner. Hartley's nursery was painted and her furniture purchased before we even knew her gender. And a few weeks ago I deemed the nursery ready for its occupant and have hardly had to touched it since. In fact, I put her linens on so early I'm wondering if they'll accumulate dust before she arrives. 

And for the most part, I've hated pregnancy so much that I wanted it to end as soon as it was safe enough for it to end.

But now I feel like it just went so fast. I'm in denial that she is going to enter this world without having me as a constant shell of protection. And I don't know how ready I am, though there's nothing I could possibly do to prepare myself more. It's like a test you've studied for non stop, you know as much as your brain can hold, but you can't shake those butterflies (and you might even pray for a snow day).

I know I'm holding myself to incredibly high standards but after so much build up over the years, I just want to be perfect for her. I will make mistakes but I don't want to. 

And the second I load things in that bag I'm going to realize that we can't stay like this forever. I can't just hold her in and not take the next big leap. 

At the same time, I am excited to welcome her in to the world. And I need to realize that even when she's here I can still be her bubble of comfort and safety - just not the literal version that I currently am. I can't even fathom what it will be like on her birth day or what it will feel like to hold her in my arms. But I need to focus on that and use that image to spur the packing process. 

Keep your fingers crossed that I at least start packing today. It's time to realize motherhood isn't just some dream that will never come to fruition. In a few weeks, it will very much be my reality. 




No comments:

Post a Comment