Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Day We Lost Buttons

It's hard for me to write a blog today because it's been a very, very sad day. Today my family's dog Buttons passed away peacefully. Even though we knew it would happen (he was 14), it isn't any less sad. He was the dog I grew up with; we got him the summer before I entered high school. And needless to say, 14 years as a family dog forms some very strong bonds. He was a family member to us.  Some families have dogs that just exist in the same space as them. They'll put food in their bowls and let them out really quick but they are just pets. And in my eyes, a dog is so much more than a pet. They have likes and dislikes. They have feelings. They love you more unconditionally than anyone else in your life. They are beautifully simple but compassionate creatures.

Buttons was better than most people. Never hateful, never judgmental. And I'm proud that he was there for so many milestones in my life. I kind of thought he'd be here to meet my baby but 14 years was already a long happy life.

It makes me realize how important Winnie will be to our kid. And someday, because dogs don't live for ever, he or she will know this pain. The excruciating pain of losing a furry family member who was always there for you. But it's so worth it for the joy they bring to our lives.

Rest in peace, sweet friend. All dogs go to heaven so I know you're just living it up in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment