Saturday, April 6, 2013

Surgeries Make Babies, Not Sex

My urge waking up this morning was to go online and look at baby blogs and look at all things baby on pinterest. To be honest, this past week I haven't thought much about having a baby. I was thinking about my surgery.

Before I hit the internet to look at a bazillion baby things, I checked for bleeding. I'm not bleeding as much as I thought or they said I would. But I am supposed to keep as eye to make sure my bleeding is less and less and after today, it really shouldn't be bright red.

The two things I worried about this surgery were waking up from anesthesia without Brian there and putting too much strain on my uterus and starting to bleed a lot (which is the biggest risk of the surgery). The first is now behind me, and the second, I'm working on following the guidelines so it doesn't happen.

Here's how the surgery went:

11:15 - arrived at hospital and checked in at surgical registration

11:40ish - called back to sign some consent forms

12ish - headed back to my pre-op room, peed in a cup for a pregnancy test (haha), and got changed into my hospital gown and grippy socks

Between 12-1:15 -  laid in bed, nice and comfy, and a slew of nurses and doctors came in to introduce themselves and ask questions. They gave me my IV. Dr.Reh came to say hi and asked for any last minute questions. Then my new best friend Mike aka the anesthesiologist put a few drops of the good stuff in my IV. Told me it'd take a few seconds and then I'd be nice and relaxed. It worked like a charm. Brian gave me a big kiss per my request. Then they wheeled me into the operating room.

1:15ish - get to the huge, super bright operating room. They asked me to crawl onto the operating table and once I was on the doctor popped over and asked if I was ok. Told her I was ready to rock and roll. Then they put on my gas mask, and I fell asleep.

Almost 2:30 - I get wheeled into recovery, they hooked me up to some machines to monitor my vitals. They check my bleeding, it wasn't much on the dressing but there was a puddle of blood under where my bottom was. They put on a lovely hospital diaper. I got the chills so they wrapped me in lots of hot blankets, and few minutes later I felt fine. They gave me a diet coke. I looked around, and I seemed to be doing much better than everyone around me.

3ish - I got wheeled out of the 1st recovery room into a second room and ate crackers. I waited a little while before Brian came back around 3:15ish. They let me take my first pee. It hurt a little but they said that was normal. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to walk by myself so I picked up my IV bag and walked back to my recovery bay. A nurse came over to help me but said I did look great.

They bandaged where the IV had been and went over post op instructions. The instructions were much stricter than my doctor's.

A nurse wheeled me down in a wheelchair while Brian got the car. We were in the car at 4:05 and headed home.

Walking wasn't comfortable - I felt like my uterus was going to fall out so I just laid in bed. I don't feel the cramping or arm pain they said I would likely have. I feel very lucky to have done so well. They said I'd be groggy and likely sleep a lot but I just slept from 11 pm - 7 am like normal.

Today I am starting to think about my baby. I am also thinking about how weird it is that most women don't have to pop pills, take injections, have surgery, be monitored, or have procedures done to get pregnant. The thought of having sex with my husband to make a baby is a very, very strange thought to me. Because I've never had a baby, this oddly feels kind of "normal". Irritating and frustrating at times but starting to feel normal.

I think I was very brave yesterday. It is very weird to have a surgery and think you are doing it for your family... when you don't even have a baby growing in you yet.

This morning I looked at a Pottery Barn Kids catalog and cried. So far, but yet so close.

Brian told me in the beginning that I'm the strongest woman he knows but I never believed him. I'm realizing that I AM one hell of a woman - and a very strong one at that!





No comments:

Post a Comment