Tuesday, March 5, 2013

1 dpiui

Yesterday was quite the day. It was extremely draining.

It started out very zen. I tried to make it like Christmas morning in our house; I made pancakes and turkey bacon for breakfast. Then I took a nice long shower, making sure to shave my legs so I wouldn't look like Chewbacca in the stirrups. 

We got in the car at 11:20 am for our noon appointment in Arlington. I picked 11:20 the night before when Brian asked when I thought we should leave. 

Well, we get in the car, and we're driving along with no traffic in sight. Brian starts freaking out about being late. He always gets anxious over "his part" of the IUI. It seemed to then set the tone for the rest of the day.

He was already stressed, and when we got to the doctor at 11:49 it took a few minutes to find parking. 

We waited about 10 minutes in the waiting room for him to be called back. While I waited for him, minutes seemed like hours. The magazine selection was beyond terrible. I had nothing to browse or read on my phone. I mainly sat there waiting and hoping for time to pass.

When he came out, we headed to lunch. And it was delicious. Brian calmed down, and I got nervous for my part. Yes, I'd done 1 mock IUI and 2 actual IUIs prior to yesterday's IUI but you always get a little nervous. It doesn't exactly hurt but it's uncomfortable. Keep in mind, I say that as someone who is probed regularly. 

The IUI was late because they were still treating Brian's sperm. So I laid on the table, with a very full bladder, and I told Brian that I didn't want to be there. I wanted to be anywhere else rather than laying on a table, feet in stirrups, exposed and vulnerable. 

After the 2 nurses performed the IUI, one said "hopefully we made a baby today." And they both wished me luck before they left the room. I suddenly remembered, that's why we're doing this.

I laid on the bed for the extra 15 minutes as instructed, and Brian pulled up Harlem Shake videos for me to watch while I laid there. 

When we left, my toughness started to crumble. For the first time, I physically felt things after the IUI. I felt soreness and pressure in my lower abdomen and lower back. My stomach bloated up. I think it might have been the first time I felt ovulation. I was optimistic yet had the overwhelming urge to cry.

I was drained: mentally, emotionally and physically. It was hard to lean on Brian because he was drained, too. So I put myself in bed and watched tv until we left for my mom's birthday dinner. 

I had promised to bring dessert but hadn't gotten a chance to make anything - the late notice of the IUI foiled my Monday grocery shopping and baking plans. So we went to Wegman's to pick up dessert. Walking though the store was tough. I felt so much heaviness that it was just uncomfortable. Once we bought an amazing peanut butter pie, we got back in the car, and I saw a poster about gay marriage on Facebook. I started to tear up. Gay people should be able to get married, too. All these crazy hormones were making me actually cry about it though. You take an HCG shot and see how you feel!

We got to my parents' house, and at this point I wanted to curl up in a ball. I didn't feel like being around anyone. But it was such a fun group and such a great dinner that it pulled me out of the funk I thought was indestructible. 

By the time we got home close to 11, I was exhausted. I made sure to make a wish at 11:11, and then I zonked out. I woke up tired this morning. 

I'm convinced this is the story of how I conceived my child. I think this was it. I think roughly 9 months from now I'll give birth to a baby boy. Brian and I love to assign percent chances. He said 94.5%. I said 100%. 

I have the nursery and nursery closet emptied out and ready to go. I found the chalkboard I'll use to record my bump pictures. Both of our families are so ready for this new addition.

Now we wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment