Sunday, November 24, 2013

Welcome to Hartley's Nursery (so far)

So a shout out to Brian for figuring out what I clearly couldn't: how to add pictures here!

Lets face it, when Hartley arrives my life is going to change big time. I'm not remotely assuming this parenting thing will be easy (especially the whole keeping an infant alive part). But between all the not-so-fun preparations, the nursery has been a blast to work on.

Obviously the nursery is not done. I have a bit over 10 weeks of baby growing left, and my baby shower in 2 weeks. Obviously I'm not going out and buying linens off my registry just to stage a blogpost for you, so use your "potential goggles" here please. 

Without further adieu, I give you (unfiltered cell phone/not the best quality) pictures. And since you might not want to read captions, I give you numbers so you can read captions below if you choose!

1.

2.

3.

4.



5.

6.

7.

8.


9.

10.

11. 

12.

13.


1. Welcome to the nursery! This is the view as you walk in. The walls are Behr paint but in Sherwin William's "Mountain Air", a very light grayish blue. And yes, we did the less expensive paint in a designer color route. Cut corners where you can, right?

2. This is my homemade cotton ball wreath. I completely copied it from a PB Kids catalog. I did add gold glitter dots that I cut out of glitter paper to give it extra oomph.

3. This is the corner where her crib is. I absolutely love this Jenny Lind crib from Target. Probably should toss up a just crib picture. It's adorable spindles and vintage inspired design give it a lot of charm... For less than $200. I bought it before we knew gender because I loved it that much.

4. As you can see in the "corner picture" this little guy is perched on a shelf. If you read this blog from the beginning you might remember this was our first baby purchase, which we bought the day we found out I was pregnant. But this shelf is also where the video baby monitor will perch to peer in our girl. The shelf is amazing. A container store find. At $30 it wasn't particularly cheap but it's sturdy and gorgeous.

5. My homemade wall art. I made this a couple days after learning her gender. I looked online and found tons of amazing artwork for her room, only to realize I'm not Miss Moneybags, and blowing a ton of money on wall art would just be stupid. So I bought these frames at Michaels, buy 2, get 1 free. I used scrap paper and my thin tipped sharpie and went to town. It reads "We love you... With all our Harts." Cheesy. But I'm cheesy.

6. The splurge of the nursery! This glider was a gift from my in laws. It actually is a Pottery Barn splurge. It is the most comfortable glider in the world. And the wingback design? Amazing. When it's done it's nursery use, it will grace another room in our house with it's presence. I love the lamp too. The lamp is Target - I mean, where else? 

7. The bunny picture I made. I bought this obscenely expensive paper - $8 for a 2 by 3 foot bunny print paper. I had no purpose for it. And I knew Brian wasn't going to be happy. So I ran to Michael's, fished a $12 frame out of the clearance bin and slapped this together using about 1/3 the bunny paper I bought. I just cut out a bunny silhouette from some white paper I had and voila, instant artwork. At less than $16, it's one of my favorite things in this nursery. 

8. Fell in love with a gorgeous Land of Nod version. Reminded myself again that I'm not Miss Moneybags. Bought this curtain rod for less than half the expensive version. Target find. The curtains are Simply Shabby Chic from Target. Have loved SSC for the past 10 years.

9. Here's the dresser slash changing table from Value City furniture. It is amazingly sturdy and appears to be a very quality piece. Bought it on sale - $100 off. Paid $0 to have it delivered because Brian and my brother are two very strong guys and my dad has a truck. Still on the hunt for a mirror for over the dresser...

10. The plastic bins I bought looked majorly cheesy... But they were a lot less expensive than the baskets I liked. Hello, bunny paper, gold glitter ribbon and double sided tape. Looks like boutiquey drawers but they are just some of my "fake it til you make it" creations.

11. Adorable socks gifted to me from my mom's friend. And this little glittery box? $1.79 at the container store. Can use to hold small hygiene products like diaper rash cream, q tips, cotton balls, hair accessories, etc. Might buy 1 or 2 more once we see what she needs at her changing/grooming station. 

12. So this basket isn't perfect for holding books but I had it laying around my house so I figured why not. We'll keep 8-10 books in this basket at a time and the rest will be in a bin in the closet to rotate out when we need them. I'm not one for cluttering a small space with book shelves. Too much. Maybe some day I'll go all out and get a basket with a chalkboard label but for now, the free one works.

13. Not exactly a nursery picture but this is her planned take home outfit. I know it might not be feasible or could be the wrong size but for now I'm hoping it works because I LOVE it. And yes, it's from Target. 

By the way, I felt compelled to disclose some sources and prices here. In a world where we are all pinning well staged, expensive, designer nurseries, I think it's important to remember that we don't have to have those nurseries in order to love the ones we make. My thoughts: splurge when you really want to, save whenever you can, and remember your baby isn't going to remotely care how much you spend on that first room. Oh, and don't let people tell you blue walls aren't a girl nursery thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment