Monday, November 25, 2013

7 years ago today.

7 years ago today I met the man I would marry.

When I first saw him I thought, "this guy is so handsome." If you ask him what he thought when he first saw me he'd tell you he thought I was really short. 

He was extremely shy. He would look down when he talked and seemed extremely nervous. I thought it was funny because I'm not the kind of person that people get nervous around. I pretty desperately wanted him to be at ease around me. So at the end when he seemed to be debating whether or not to give me a good bye handshake, I just gave him a big hug.

At a foot taller than me, it was like hugging a big bear.

That day was like any other day for me really. At 21, I went out on lots of dates, and I had no idea that would be the one where I met my husband. 

I sometimes think we're those same two college kids. But the truth is we met at a funny time in life. Because even though seven years may not sound like all that long to some, we actually grew up a lot.

When we met we were living at home with our parents. Brian had just turned 22. Our lives were those of normal college kids. Brian studied a lot. I should have been studying more. I remember the cold December day Brian interviewed for his job, and he's been working there for 6.5 years... now as a manager. He was funny about not going to his commencement ceremony but he bought me a Georgetown sweatshirt from the bookstore on one of his last days on campus. When I graduated he was there. There are pictures of us holding my book at my senior art show and pictures of him with his arm around me in my cap and gown at graduation. He made some big purchases: a condo and then a ring. I moved out of my parents house and in with Brian. Which at first felt like we were just playing house - I was 23! We had our wedding. We patched leaks. We celebrated anniversaries. We had lots of fun, easy days, and then we had some challenging ones. We sold the condo and bought a family friendly townhouse. I got pregnant. And in a couple months, we're going to be parents. 

It seems like forever and the blink of an eye at the same time. It sounds so ordinary yet looking back feels kind of extraordinary. 

I wouldn't change a thing.

And when I think about how much love we have for each other and how well we do as a couple, I know that Hartley is going to be a very lucky girl. We are so lucky to get to be her parents, and she is so lucky to have us as her parents. 

Brian told me this morning that he's so excited for our eighth year. It will certainly be one of the big ones. It can go slowly. I'd love to savor our little family as long as we can. But undoubtedly next year, I'll tell you how it flew. How the baby that grew in my belly during Thanksgiving 2013 might be trying some of her first Thanksgiving foods in a few days. And how it goes too fast. 

7 years. No itch. But some amazing memories and lots to look forward to.





No comments:

Post a Comment