Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The girl cave (before)

So I had a little panic attack a bit ago. Of the "oh my god, we are already running out of space and she's not even 2 months old yet... let's get rid of everything we own and live like the ultimate minimalists" variety. 

I love our townhouse. It is nothing huge or fancy but it is perfect for us. The location is stellar, and the neighborhood is wonderful. And I want to stretch as much time as humanly possible out of this house. People always say come having another kid we'd need something bigger. Well, with just Hartley we could be here forever. Throw another kid in the mix and my goal would be getting Hartley close to double digits in this house. That's right, trying to squeeze 10 years and 2 kids out of this deal. And if we could last longer, props to us. But if you were to see our house right now, you'd be thinking, this house is bursting at the seams with stuff, they'll never make their goal of making it last forever.

Well, I will say there are two solutions to this problem, and we will institute both:
1. Find a way to make more space
2. Get rid of stuff

So now you're sitting there wondering how we plan on making more space. Well this was something I was stumped with at first. Then browsing Pinterest, something caught my eye. It was a home office make over but to me it looked like a fancy pants storage room that with a small desk could be called an office. And an idea was born. Let's get rid of the guest room. We never have overnight guests, so we really have no need for a guest room. And it will be the girl cave. I call it the girl cave because my husband gets 600 square feet of man cave. But what it really is is storage for Hartley's toys and books and my crafting supplies and odds and ends. 

By the way, sidebar to that, the man cave will not exist if we have multiple children. Brian is the only man I know who has one. I really don't mind that our basement is all his. But the day our family needs that space for something else, the cave is gone just like the guest room. 

Back to the girl cave. It's a very small room: 9 feet by 9 feet. But it's just enough to do basically a wall of storage and throw a small desk against the other wall. I have a vision. I have a color palette. But I'm keeping quiet so I can get a nice before and after surprise on here. 

So here is the before for your viewing pleasure. Adios, guest room! It's been nice... Not using you?


Oh and by the way, that pink tray? That's my current desk - where I address Christmas cards and birth announcements and do my artwork and crafting. It's a plastic child craft table from Michaels. Yeah, mama's getting an upgrade. 






No comments:

Post a Comment