Tuesday, April 22, 2014

It really does get easier

So Hartley and I had our usual morning. Starts off with her waking around 7:30. Like clockwork she take a massive poop to start the day. And afterwards she doles out smiles while laying on her changing table, almost like she's proud of herself. You know I'm her mom because as weird as that is I find it adorable.

We head downstairs. I put on my coffee and have breakfast while she plays solo on her mat. Then I feed her and we snuggle. What we do after that is different based on her mood and the weather and how much housework I have to do ;) 

Today it was a nice stroll before the rain came. We bumped in to a neighbor who had her baby girl the exact same day I had Hartley. We exchanged phone numbers to hopefully organize some nice weather walks and play dates. 

After we got home, we both ate lunch and then played. Now she's snoozing in her swing, and I just finished browsing on pinterest. 

Then I looked over at her and just thought, life is good.

What experienced moms tell you when you have a teeny newborn is, "don't worry, it gets easier/better". And you know what? They're right. It really does.

Life is rough for a couple months. Your body is healing. You, your husband and your baby are all adjusting. You are deciphering cryptic crying. And you are surviving. Each day under your belt is a triumph.

Then something happens, and it clicks. And you stop surviving and start living.

Your life is different, that's for sure. But you find a groove.

I've learned to keep things low key. Our first outing was to a winery, and I quickly learned this summer will be a summer we utilize our patio and our trails instead. Lugging a baby for mini day trips is more trouble than it's worth at this point. I've learned running errands is better done while one of us stays home with the baby instead of me carting her to Target all the time. And doing things spontaneously is no longer on the menu.

Those are teeny adjustments in the grand scheme of things. 

I'm currently learning that kicking back, being low key and relaxing with Hartley is totally acceptable. And so most days, that's what we do. Relax. Go for walks. Play. Snuggle when she lets me :)

Don't get me wrong, she has her moods. And she has funky days. But they are becoming less and less, and are usually cured with naps.

I'd hate to tell the mother of a newborn "it gets easier" when I know all she wants is sleep and a break. But we have gotten to the light at the end of the surviving tunnel, and it's glorious. 

Life is good. And it just keeps getting easier and better :)



No comments:

Post a Comment