Friday, April 4, 2014

Stay at home mom

My old boss contacted me a couple days ago about coming in and working a Saturday shift. I jumped at the chance. To me it means a handful of hours rejoining the working world and a few extra bucks in my pocket. And it really got me to thinking - should I be trying to go back to work? I'm not sure work is where I want to be but there certainly are days it sounds appealing. 

At the end of my pregnancy, some hurtful things were said about me (albeit jokingly) regarding my financial contribution, or lack thereof, to my family. I comforted myself with "sticks and stones" and making pee in your pants jokes about the irony of it all. But sometimes I think how nice it'd be to make money so the money I have is "my money". Because I go out and earn it at a "real job".

So I chatted with Brian last night about what he thought. I started by asking if he was nervous to have a full day with Hartley while I was at work but then decided to ask what he thought if I actually really went back. I was happy he finally boldly stated a preference. He told me he wanted me to stay at home with Hartley. 

Then he elaborated. And I was insanely impressed with what I heard. 

He told me he knew how my new job is a lot harder than my old job. He told me taking care of Hartley, him and our home is an extraordinary amount of work and a priceless contribution to our family. He told me how lucky Hartley is to be receiving the best care around and to be raised by such an incredible woman. And he told me how much he needs me - how I keep our little family going and how I make sure everyone is happy and taken care of. He said I'm the cog that keeps our wheel of a family turning.

I was so impressed that all the little things I do don't go unnoticed. To hear from a man that my work is real work, despite it not bringing in actual dollars and cents. 

I know he's right. I know I'm a phenomenal wife and a pretty damn good mom. And I'm constantly trying to be better at both. But it never hurts to hear it.

My mom once told me how hard is it to be a stay at home mom but how it's also beyond rewarding. The hard parts? You lose a bit of your own identity and let's face it, the job security is jack shit. But you get to watch your children grow in to people. And let me tell you, my mom raised 3 healthy, happy people and created one hell of a fun, tight knit family. She knows her shit.

To the men out there, remember how a little praise here and there goes a long way. All the little things your wife does for you and/or your children deserve a nice thank you from time to time.

And to the women out there, let's take time to appreciate each other and give thanks and praise. Lord knows, we take care of the people in our lives out of instinct but it doesn't make it any less notable. That certainly goes for working moms too! Double high fives for being able to do so much!

And for your Friday viewing pleasure. A picture of my boss. Sleeping on the job. I'll take it. 


Editor's note: directly after writing this entry I noticed Hartley was having too solid of poops with extreme difficulty passing them. There was lots of crying. Then a little apple juice drinking. Then no pants time while I did bicycle kicks with her legs and watched her butt like it was a play dough fun factory (children of the 90's know). Then I inspected the stools - their firmness and to see if there was blood. What big deal thing did YOU do at work today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment