Monday, April 14, 2014

Updates

Completely forgive the fact that this entry will mostly be unorganized ramblings but lately there is something new and exciting happening almost daily, and I'm not the best about writing about each little nugget!

Where to start...

Spring Strolls

Now that spring is finally in full gear, our little family is all about spring trail walks. We talked about future family trail walks the day we moved in - how much we were looking forward to them. Well, can I just say they exceed expectations. Nothing like fresh air, a cool breeze and together time. And yesterday we ventured to Sweet Frog on our walk, and that wasn't half bad either ;)



Cloth Diapers

At Hartley's two month appointment they said her diaper region looked a world better. Thank goodness. Took several weeks, lots of naked time, baking soda baths and triple paste but we got there! I had given up on cloth diapering, since the manufacturers say diaper paste breaks down cloth diaper absorbency. I almost had Brian list them online to sell. But now that her rash cleared, I took the plunge. I love them. They are awesome. The only kind of hard part is poopy diapers. But I'm managing. Using a pitcher of water and rinsing the poo into the toilet. We still have a ton of disposables so we're using them at night to make changes easy in case of crazy number twos at 3 am. I also plan on using disposables when we're out or if someone babysits. I'm not squeamish about poop but asking someone else to rinse my kids poop into the toilet sounds like a bit much. Oh, and with her sensitive skin, we'll keep disposables on hand in case of rashes. 


Homemade wipes

This is something I'm spotty on doing but I love my homemade wipes. When I've had a rough few days and don't get to making a batch I'm happy to use the store bought ones. But now with cloth diapers I'm using a spray bottle with water, wetting a washcloth and wiping. Saving the homemade wipes for poop. 

The Easter Basket

I bought just a few things for Hartley's basket. I was going to add more but my mom came over with bags full of Hartley goodies. I've decided to toss some of those goodies in her basket and voila, done. 

Toys

Like I said, my mom went nuts buying us adorable stuff at Target. Love that lady. She got her a purple seahorse stuffed animal that's tummy lights up and plays music. Hartley loves it. During changes I make it swim in font of her, and she's intrigued. I'm also teaching her to give kisses, so the seahorse gives her kisses. My mom also got her bath toys. I was holding off to give them to her at Easter but she loves baths so much I have her a few early. Brian narrates stories about her toys during bath time, and her friends squirt her. It's the cutest thing you've ever seen. Brian also bought Hartley a bumbo seat at Walmart before work today. I'm so excited to watch her try it tonight. 

Sitting and Standing

Obviously she's not doing either on her own yet but she loves to practice. She hates being held on her back now unless she's tired enough to sleep. It's all about being held standing. She loves pushing off with her legs. I've also started to let her sit propped up. But the bumbo will be safer! She is just itching to be a big girl. So crazy. I think we're going to have an active explorer on our hands in the near future. 

Hands

So the pacifier is a huge fucking flop. Excuse my language but I'm disappointed. I thought she was "getting it" but it didn't last at all. But she's started eating her hands. And I'm happy. I know people say, "but you can't take a thumb away". Um, why would I want to take it away? Anything that soothes my child is good with me. If my kid is like 20 and sucking on their hands, I'll freak out. But for the next few years, I say, "go ahead and eat those hands if it soothes you, baby." 



The Girl Cave

Ok, so a lot of people probably find that a confusing name for a room. It's really a super room - combining a playroom, storage and a mini office. A teeny room that wears many hats! I'm making progress. I painted. The bookcase is the big part, and it's assembled and fixed to the wall. It's slowly getting filled up with mine and Hartley's things. This was the smartest idea I've had in a long time. Any family with a kid and a spare room should consider this option :) 


Big Girl

Yesterday Hartley started wearing a few 3-6 month pieces. The pants are still a little big but it looks like 0-3 month things will be on the way out shortly. This is a much tougher transition than getting out of newborn for some reason. I'm excited to see her wear her new size but I'm so sad that her beautiful 0-3 month wardrobe isn't going to be usable soon. I think her newborn handy me downs were less of an attachment because they weren't gifted to Hartley. But these outfits were bought for her by friends and family. I truly think of the person who bought the outfit when she wears it. 


Well, there you have it. All our random tidbits! Ah, feels good to get em on the blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment