Friday, February 8, 2013

my decision to quit my job.

There are two decisions in my life that are the best decisions I've ever made.

The first, and most important, was my decision to marry Brian. When I married him, it was the first time in my life I was 100% sure what I was doing was completely right. 

The second was to go back to school to become an esthetician. I am very proud of my college degree and grateful to my parents for making me earn it. I was certainly intelligent and capable of attending college but it never really felt like the exact right fit to me. When I decided to go back to school - to trade school - it all clicked. I loved trade school. I liked going to class and learning. I liked going to clinical and "working". 

When I got my first job as an esthetician, I knew it was the right decision. It came completely naturally to me to have close contact with people and form bonds with my clients. 

I am extremely good at my job. I have people who request to be treated by me. I have people who comment about how much they love me in their reviews of our spa. 

I take a lot of pride in what I do. I enjoy it. And I work very hard. 

December of last year, I continued to work hard, only I over estimated how much I could handle. 

I worked like a dog. Long shifts, no lunch breaks. Then I added in doctor's appointments. The most I had in one week was 5 appointments (including my IUI), which fell the week before Christmas. So my schedule was wake up at 6:30 am and leave for the doctor at 7 am. Get to the doctor for my ultrasound and blood work and get home close to 8:30. Take the dog out, pack my lunch and get ready for work. Get to work around 10:30 am, leave work between 7-7:30 pm. By the time I'd get home close to 8 o'clock, I was beat but I could never really stop. There were Christmas presents I had to buy, Christmas cards to write, and laundry I had to do. Early in December I spent time planning our Home Alone Christmas party. I tried to visit my friend Johanna in the hospital weekly. There was never a day we had nothing to do. And I was fine with that.

Brian kept telling me I was running myself ragged but I never really believed him.

Then in January, I broke down. I think my immune system did too because when I came into contact with a nasty cold, I caught it. As soon as I was done with that, I caught the flu. I realized that maybe I'm not superwoman.

Brian had been talking to me all January about quitting my job but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't forfeit. I brought up Brian's suggestion to my mom, and she thought it was a great idea. She said it would do me a world of good to take a break and focus on myself instead of work. But as sick as it is, work was like my drug. Even if I was terrible at getting pregnant, I was a damn good worker, and it gave me purpose. 

After flip flopping back and forth, one day I decided to bite the bullet and admit defeat. I put in my notice. My boss said it made no sense just to quit a job just because I go to a lot of doctor's appointments. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe I'm weaker than other women. But I'll never look back and think, "What if I had just taken it easier?"

I'm thankful daily to be in the situation I'm in. I'm very fortunate to financially be able to do this and to have a husband who is beyond supportive. 

To all the women out there who can juggle the weight of world on their shoulders, I tip my cap to you. I'm not one of you but I tip my cap to you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment