Friday, May 23, 2014

May 24, 2013

I would more appropriately write this post tomorrow but these days weekends seem far too precious to use for blogging. 

May 24, 2013 will likely always be the luckiest day of my life. For the rest of my life, I will be in awe of that day. There aren't many people in this world who get to experience what Brian and I experienced on that day so many people will never understand just how amazing it really was.

We saw Hartley for the very first time. We got a printed out picture of her as an embryo. This little being, in the earliest stage of its life. Microscopic but all her information existed in this teeny grouping of cells. My husband held my hand as a team of doctors transferred her into her cozy home where she would grow and thrive for 9 months. 

And I laid there afterwards wondering about our future. Hoping and praying for a healthy baby.

Well, the ending is more like a beginning. God and science did not fail us. We were blessed with a true miracle baby. For that, I am forever grateful. 

I spent years of my life wishing for a healthy baby. Years where every 11:11 on a clock I'd ask for one. And truth be told, now, I have nothing more in my life that I ever feel like asking for. I see the clock hit 11:11, and I ask that I don't wake up from this dream. I ask that my little family stay just as healthy and in love as we are right now. 

In vitro. Do you know what that means? In glass. Hartley grew in glass even before she grew inside of me. Still, even today, there just aren't words for that. "Incredible" will have to suffice. 

So every year, on May 24th, I will count my blessings twice. I will remember just how lucky I am. And even though motherhood can be exhausting at times, on that day out of the year I will remember that it is a true gift. 

How Brian and I got so lucky, I will never know. But I am so grateful that we get to be Hartley Glenn's parents. She is my proudest achievement, and a tie for the greatest love of my life. 










































No comments:

Post a Comment