Monday, February 2, 2015

Year One In Review

A year ago I was nervous for all the things that were about to happen but incredibly excited to meet you. Your nana actually had a brilliant analogy about that last bit of pregnancy. She told me that it's like a roller coaster, and that last bit of pregnancy right before labor is the tick, tick, tick as you get to the very top of the incline before you drop. There is a bizarre mixture of excitement and nerves, and what happens next is impossible to be fully prepared for. 


Leading up to your birth, I labored a long time. I don't think you were quite ready to enter the world yet but the world was pretty eager for you to arrive! 

When you got here, you were the most beautiful sight I'd ever seen. 



Those first few weeks were rough. You were an itty bitty beauty and there were lots of sweet snuggles but there was little sleep and lots of tears. I now savor the pictures of that stage because living it was just a complete blur. I know it was a very difficult time but sometimes I see those pictures and just want to hold my teeny peanut again. 


It took a couple months for us to get the hang of the day to day stuff. 

When Spring came, you and I started venturing out more. We took lots of walks. I got the hang of taking you places by myself. You were really starting to become less of a newborn and more of a baby. In turn, you were smiling more and making sweet baby noises.


I'd read to you. I'd have you do tummy time.

You went through a long phase of stranger anxiety so you didn't care for going to other people's houses or being in large, loud groups. That was really rough on your dad and I. Luckily you slept through your first Easter but your baptism reception didn't get quite the same luck.



Your first milestone outside smiling was rolling over. Your dad and I both got to be there for it and were very proud parents.


Nana and poppy helped out a lot with you; they would baby sit you a lot. I think they were the first people outside your dad and I that you really recognized. (Now you light up when you see them walk through the door) 


The summer was full of family walks. It included your first trip to the pool, which you didn't love. We learned later you actually love the water but we just had taken you when the water was too cold! 


It also marked your first road trip: Charleston, SC. We went to the beach for a week. You tolerated the beach but really loved splashing in the pool the most. The week ended with a beautiful beach wedding; that's when Aunt Laura and Uncle Brian got married! 

At the end of summer, mom and dad spent their first night away from you to celebrate their 5th wedding anniversary in Annapolis. Nana and Poppy stayed with you, and you had a great time. 

Then you attended another wedding! Aunt Emily and Uncle Paul got married in DC, and it was your first time going into the city. I was nervous for how you'd do with so many people but you were an angel! 

In the fall you learned to crawl, and that was life-changing for all of us. You quickly got into anything and everything. This is when you really blossomed. It really let us know how independent, active and explorative you really are. You also took swimming lessons, and absolutely loved the water. Not to mention, you were a total ham in class. 

You celebrated you first Halloween by dressing as a mouse. You sat on the front lawn with mom and dad and "helped" handing out candy. 



Soon you were pulling up on things and standing without help. At your 9 month appointment, the doctor was so impressed as you literally just stood on your own in the middle of the room!




Your first Thanksgiving you watched the Thanksgiving parade in your pajamas, which was a tradition in my family that I decided we should continue with you. You picked at your Thanksgiving feast. I'd say you loved eating it but you really just loved getting very messy! 


By December you were saying a couple words and babbling up a storm. You were cruising. Everyday we thought you could easily take your first steps. You took your first step a few days before Christmas.



For Christmas, you got to see all your grandparents and most of your aunts and uncles. You weren't into present opening at all but you loved all the gifts you got. A few days after Christmas we went out to Maryland so you could see your great grandparents and your godmother. The rest of Christmas break was spent hibernating and relaxing. 




Winter has been a little tough. You're a full fledged walker who has been cooped up inside! We get outside for walks whenever the weather isn't frigid. We play with your toys, read books and watch Sesame Street. I'm working on teaching you how to color. Sometimes I fill up a tub of water and we play "swimming pool". 

You are always babbling, playing hide n go seek, and dancing. How did I forget to mention that earlier? Oh the dancing! You started dancing to Shake It Off a few months ago and now you really dance to just about anything.

I still can't believe we'll celebrate your first birthday in 6 days. That saying about how the days being long but the years going fast rings true for me. Sometimes I'm sad that your first year is winding down to close but I'm also extremely proud of all the growing you've done and excited to see what's next! 

Last year when we left the hospital you weighed 6.5 pounds. My tiny precious peanut. Now you are 24 pounds of wild, silly fun. You have exceeded all my dreams, and I love you more than words could ever say. Happy first birthday (in 6 days!), lovey. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved looking back at all these photos and memories. What a year you three have had! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete