Sunday, February 8, 2015

Mushy Mom Thoughts & Some Birthday Pictures

So I write this blog entry as all my sweeties sleep. 

Life has changed so much this past year.

A year ago I was laying in a hospital bed holding my brand new baby. I was exhausted and weepy. While I loved Hartley, I felt pretty unsure of everything I was doing, and I was a little afraid. I looked down at the gorgeous little person I had just given birth to and just remember thinking, "I'm going to keep you safe and we'll figure out the rest as we go". 

A year has passed, and like I said I'm laying here while Brian, Hartley and Winnie nap. I lay here with another baby growing inside me, and it feels surreal at how much a year changes things. 

I'm no longer that uncertain mother. Hartley is no longer a teeny stranger to me. She is my daughter who I love to the greatest depth imaginable. She's helped me grow so much. She's teaching me patience and perspective. She's teaching me to stop and savor the little things. Kind of like how I'm savoring this quiet moment of peace right now. 

A very good friend told me today that outside today being Hartley's birthday I should also celebrate what a wonderful job I've done with Hartley this past year. She told me being Hartley's mom is a role I was born to play. I've decided she's right. Today I've given myself a quiet pat on the back, something all moms should do each year as they recognize their child's birthday. 

While we decided not to do a giant first birthday party, Hartley had a weekend of celebrating her birthday in the ways she loves best. 

She had a play date with her bud Kyle. Brian and I took her out to dinner and to buy her first pair of shoes. 

We took her new shoes for a spin at Great Falls Park. She absolutely loved it. 

This morning she got to watch Sesame Street music videos, which she loved. She had chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast.

For her party, she got to walk around the family room while her parents, nana, poppy, grandma, uncle Andrew, aunt Caroline and uncle Matt watched her put on her show. We had an easy lunch that Brian picked up from noodles and company. My mom made Hartley's cake and cupcakes for everyone else. After everyone left and Hartley was totally worn out, my No Nap Nelly decided to nap after all. 

You know those days that all moms have where they feel exhausted and challenged? I've had a lot of those recently. I'm learning it's hard to be pregnant and still be a fun, energetic mom for Hartley. I've let myself feel defeated lately because of it. But on days like this I look at the big picture and realize life is very good. 

That sweet little baby is growing to be a sweet, energetic, happy little girl. Looking back on this year with her, I wouldn't change a thing - not even the tougher days, where I learned so much. 

So in pictures, this was our weekend celebrating the birthday of our beautiful little girl. May she always be this easy to please ;)

And my these are from an assortment of cameras. I might have to have a picture blog dedicated to all the great ones my future sister in law took! 



















After I wrote this we hit up the playground:















No comments:

Post a Comment