Saturday, April 4, 2015

Nesting (well, mentally)

Well, I'm 21 weeks pregnant, and basically I have made zero progress on getting the babes' rooms together. I'm waiting on our window project, and who knows when that's going to happen. We're waiting to get an installation date, and I'm hoping it happens in April. 

Patrick's due date is a little over 4 months away so I have time but it's weird not to even have a room that's empty for him to move into or put his stuff in for that matter. It's making me start to compile a list of what we'll need/want this time. 

We were smart to go gender neutral with all the big things last time. The nursery furniture and even the wall color are totally gender neutral. The pack n play, rock n play, baby swing, car seat, baby carriers, exercise/play mats are all gender neutral. 

But since we'll have two babies who will be in cribs at the same time we need some things. I'm thinking (and hoping) the biggest purchases will be the crib, crib mattress and a double stroller. And we're buying a new dresser for Hartley since Patrick is stealing her dresser (it doubles nicely as a changing table and fits perfectly in the nursery). 

Outside of that, most of the purchases will be less expensive. It's really mainly clothes, a few sleep sacks and some linens. Not that Patrick can't use pink sheets and burp cloths but I'd like him to get a couple of his own fitted sheets and maybe a few blue burp cloths for when we're out places. Unfortunately, because Hartley was a winter baby her micro fleece newborn and small sleep sacks are not going to fly for an August baby. And I'm thinking I'll buy Patrick a "boy" blanket for when we're out for walks so he doesn't have strangers calling him a girl. Oh, and come summer I'll be buying itty bitty diapers again. 

It's really not that much but for some reason it feels like so much stuff. But I guess we are taking on a whole new human life so it's not exactly a nothing thing. 

I had come up with the sweetest theme for his nursery which I immediately scrapped at the sight of this quilt:

Close up details:

I was dream shopping on The Land Of Nod, and this beauty was on sale and completely changed the theme. I feel like little ones love farm animals (Hartley does and I did) so it seemed like a great theme. 

I'm waiting for the quilt to arrive then I'll try to copy the style of the animals on the quilt when I make artwork for the room. 

It sounds ridiculous but buying that quilt was probably one of the first times it really clicked that a baby really is coming. I asked Brian before buying it, "am I buying this too soon?" And he said no, it's time to start getting ready; this baby really is coming this summer.  

I realize this isn't true for all pregnant women but after going through IVF and then achieving a natural pregnancy, I've felt a lot of disbelief and doubt and bonding has not come easily to me at all this pregnancy. I actually remember in the very beginning saying that I was going to lose the baby because it was a fluke; me getting pregnant went against nature in my eyes. For some bizarre reason, "nesting" helps me. I know there are people out there who will twist this and say I just love to buy things or something foolish like that but not everyone has to get it. As terrified as I am to go through another excruciating marathon labor and those horrific first couple of months, having a sweet space for him makes me excited to meet him and take him home from the hospital. So if buying a quilt and crafting helps get me excited, then that's what I'm doing :) 

I'm also worrying about how Hartley will do with her new room. I feel so much guilt over taking her babyhood away too soon. I know she's getting the best gift - a sibling - but sometimes I illogically think I'll damage the hell out of her because I didn't give her enough time as the baby. Ridiculous, right? You have to love pregnancy hormones. 

Give me a couple months then I'll post pictures and talk about how everything went smoothly. If we put it out there, it comes true, right? ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment