Monday, March 16, 2015

spring cleaning or something like that

I've mentioned before, this pregnancy my nesting instincts are through the roof. My energy, however, is better spent towards caring for my toddler tornado than working on the mental laundry list of to-do's in my head. 

If you were to come upstairs in my house right now, you'd probably be scared. Our teeny master bathroom is under renovation and will be for awhile. So that means our bathroom products are scattered around to every possible bit of real estate upstairs. There are tools and construction dust. There's a pack n play in our room that we haven't bothered to pack up and store but it's been a great place to throw my pregnancy pillow! The three of us are sharing Hartley's bathroom, which hasn't been bad but her bathroom is just a clutter fest (think bath toys, baby wash, shampoo, conditioner, loofahs, washcloths, etc.).

Our window replacement project is in the works but we're waiting to get an installation date. After that date, we can work more on cleaning out the rest of the lady cave so Hartley can move in. Brian and I use that closet as our overflow closet so it'll be interesting to see where that overflow goes! 

All of this feels so daunting every time I get to the top of our stairs. Internal panic ensues but I remind myself that all of this flux is temporary. 

I've debated asking my parents if we could drop Hartley off with them on a weekend day so Brian andI could  seriously power through some of this stuff.

And every now and then, Brian and I look at eachother like, "should we be thinking about moving sooner rather than later?" Our current plan is to move closer to the kids being prepubescent. I mean, we are kind of amazing at making small spaces work. Remember all those years we lived in a one bedroom condo together? We learned a lot of tricks. But it seems everyone we know is moving, including both of my siblings. We see the big single family houses and think about how that'd be nice for a family of four (which we'll be in 5 months!). 

We both know at the end of the day that staying here is actually the better plan for our family. We just need to get past this little hump of work because in the grand scheme, it really is a little hump. 

For me, it's a hard balance these days. I use nap time as my rest time because my body feels like it really needs it. I need my body to get rest when it can to keep Patrick and I safe. Sometimes I feel guilty about that. Brian comes home, and I feel like a failure of a stay at home mom for not getting anything done. But when I try to get stuff done, I feel guilty for leaving Hartley to her own devices. 

You're thinking I should've used this blog time to get shit done. I probably should have but this helps me soothe my worried little mind. It helps remind me that there are reasons my house is a crazy town - and they are some really important, incredible reasons.

Preparing for baby number two is way different than preparing for baby number one. I actually have moments where I want to push his due date back! So wish all of us luck as we power through a few months of getting this house ready for baby boy. It'd be so much easier if wine were on the menu ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment