Wednesday, September 24, 2014

swimming lessons & crawling.

So yesterday was a very big day here. Hartley had her first swimming lesson.

Of course she wouldn't let me get a picture of her in her bathing suit so I settled for an "on our way to class" picture. And, seriously, doesn't my baby look so grown up? Ok, maybe it's just me ;)


And yeah, I'm letting her carry her Halloween purse before its October. 

Of course I left 30 minutes before class started even though the community center is probably less than 5 miles away. We got lost though and ended up being 5 minutes late. I am pretty much never late so I felt thoroughly embarrassed. I felt like such a slacker mom but the instructor was truly as sweet as could be and repeated the intro for Hartley and I. 

Hartley took to the water so naturally. I think the fact that it's a heated indoor pool just made it feel like a big bath tub. We sang songs that incorporated using the water like the "this is the way we wash our face" song. We played Ring Around The Rosie and did The Hokie Pokie. All the while we got water safety tips. We had the babies go across the pool while we held them on their tummies in a football type hold and on their backs with their heads resting on our chest. Hartley was one of only two babies that actually did some kicking which of course I was totally impressed by. She splashed a ton so sometimes we gave ourselves a little extra space from her classmates. 

Apparently 30 minutes of pool exercise was a lot because she took a 3 hour nap after class! 

I really liked the class. It was tough getting us ready to go and even tougher getting us dressed in the locker room afterward but still so worth it. 

In other news, my baby "crawled" today. The reason I'm using the quotes? She got up on all fours and purposely traveled in a forward trajectory two feet using arms and legs. That will be the Page Crane definition of crawling. Pre-motherhood I always thought milestones were cut and dry. Well I'm here to say, I was totally wrong. I'm always trying to balance giving credit where it's due but not "cheat". I keep a calendar of her milestones so it's always a big deal to me to get them as accurate as possible, even if she doesn't walk until 16 months like her mom ;)


I am oddly exhausted today so if you have extra energy vibes, please send them my way. We need to go to Target to look for a plastic swim diaper (and possibly a hot pink baby bikini as Hartley was mistakenly referred to as a "he" all class long). And the fact that I have no energy for Target is almost scary ;) 


No comments:

Post a Comment