Monday, March 21, 2016

Life Lately

I had started to write an entry detailing Hartley's assessment (to find out whether or not she was eligible to receive services from the county). Then I decided that it was something I didn't feel like sharing with the whole world. It's not because I'm embarrassed, I'm fine with saying Hartley is eligible and will receive services. She did a fantastic job at the assessment, and I couldn't be any prouder. But it was intense and I've chosen to share all the details and my truest feelings with very select, close friends. 

With all of that said, I don't have a "plan" of how much information I'll share about her sessions. I just want to be careful because it is something so personal for us and especially, Hartley. 

This blog started as a way for me to work through my feelings as I struggled with infertility. A handful of people have reached out to me and told me that portion of my blog helped or touched them, and that was a wonderfully happy accident. Then I chronicled my pregnancy and my experience as a new mom, and I found writing to be so therapeutic. Now, I'm no longer the star of this blog - my children are. That is wonderful and scary at the same time. I love talking and sharing about them but as they grow I'm trying to be very careful what I put out there about them. They are my pride and joy, and I honestly want to over share all their sweet moments all day long but I really don't want this to resurface some day and be a source of embarrassment. If that makes any sense. 

But if anyone does read this and is struggling as they notice their child developing a little more slowly than their peers, if you reach out to me I'm happy to share things with you.

With all of that said, life has been just as busy, tiring and fun as ever. 

This beautiful weather has made life so wonderful. We're constantly spending time together outside, and I love it! We've been going for walks and wagon rides, playing with sidewalk chalk, playing on our new swing set and dining al fresco on our deck. Spring is in the air, and our family couldn't be any happier about it. As a stay at home mom, I find this to be the very best season because it means there are a solid 6-7 months ahead of fun outdoor activities! 


Hartley is the star of today's blog. We haven't hit the terrible two's yet, only the terrific two's, and I've been absolutely loving seeing Hartley now more as a little kid. She says and does the cutest things, and she has the sweetest personality. 

She's started going to story time at the library regularly with my mom. My mom also takes her to swimming lessons weekly. This has been amazing for Hartley and I. It's great for Hartley to be bonding with my mom and getting these experiences, and it's nice for me to get a few hours a week of just having one baby! 

I've started doing Baby Ballerinas with Hartley on Saturday mornings. I touched on our first class, which was a little rough. Hartley was very shy and unsure of the whole thing.

Saturday, however, she really blossomed! The teacher came up to me and told me how much better Hartley did, and how she was so cute. 

I'll admit, following directions is not her strong suit. She definitely marches to the beat of her own drum. As the other ballerinas marched, galloped and skipped along side their parents in the circle, Hartley would let go of my hand and run to the middle of the circle to dance. She'd be in the center just doing her own moves as I traveled around the circle without my baby ballerina. After a bit, I'd grab her hand and try to get her to follow along. I was so proud that she'd warmed up that I didn't want to stifle her but I also didn't want to disrupt the class. It's one of those scenarios that is still a delicate balance for me to strike.


Sunday we took the kids to see the Easter bunny. I went up early and got the first spot in line, and Brian met me there about 10 minutes before the bunny got there. I thought Hartley would do okay because she was happy as a clam waiting. She was even enthusiastic to see the bunny but once she realized Brian and I were backing away after we sat her on his lap, she was not having that. Life and Easter pictures are never boring with this crew! 


The mall trip was fun after that. Hartley loved walking around holding my hand, and she got new sneakers. Patrick, as always, was just happy to be along for the ride.


Hartley and Patrick are starting to entertain each other these days so this past weekend we really relished in watching that. The best parts of motherhood to date are watching Hartley interact with Patrick and watching him squeal in delight and laugh when she gives him attention. My heart almost exploded this weekend when, unprompted, she went over to snuggle Patrick. It truly makes all the bits of exhaustion feel very worth it.

That is our life lately. I do hope to blog about Patrick more soon. He continues to be a giant ball of love. He's all juicy baby rolls and laughter. More on that love bug to follow soon - I hope :)







No comments:

Post a Comment