Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easter Weekend

The week leading up to Easter was exhausting. Hartley had her first session with her speech therapist. It was a shit show; she cried for at least 90 percent of the session. Afterwards I felt terrible and questioned whether or not I was doing the right thing. I have no clue what I'm doing but we'll see if next week goes better. 

We also had Patrick's assessment, which went beautifully. He is developing wonderfully but is slightly behind with his gross motor development. They said this was because of his size (you're shocked - right?). It was up to us if we wanted to have a physical therapist come out and work with him once a month. We chose to do it mainly because we are already paying for Hartley, so this is essentially "free" for us. Even though it went well, it was exausting. Apparently it was exhausting for Patty too because he napped for three hours afterwards! 

When Friday rolled around, I was spent. It's truly amazing to me how some weeks just kick my ass - and this was one of them. So Brian came home from work a few hours early, and let me run some errands solo. When I got home from errands we all went to Reston Town Center for dinner. We ate outside at Uncle Julio's, and Hartley ate her body weight in chips and queso. It was the perfect way to kick off the weekend!

Saturday morning my mom took me shopping. I know for her it was something simple to do together but she has no idea how much I really needed that. I haven't bought real, non-maternity clothes in years (pathetic, I know). So I got to spend a couple hours away from the babies while my mom treated me to new outfits that actually fit and look good on my mom-of-two body. Don't ask me how back to back pregnancies expanded my rib cage but they did! It's really sad but I hardly ever do stuff like that for myself so driving home from the mall it felt as refreshing as if I'd taken a week long vacation! Thanks, mom!


Saturday evening we hosted my best friend Johanna's family for a cook out play date. Her two sweet girls (my god babies!) are such fun playmates for Hartley. They're a year older than Hartley so she thinks she's hanging out with the coolest older girls, and it's adorable. Johanna brought the most delicious bunny cake and some sweet gifts for Hartey and Patrick. She's the best! A fun time was had but then it was off to bed so the Easter bunny could come! 

Easter morning the babies opened their Easter baskets. 


This Easter was special for a few reasons: we hosted brunch in our new house, it was Patrick's FIRST Easter, and it was the first holiday where I felt like things clicked a little for Hartley.

Hartley got play dough in her basket, and she didn't want to eat breakfast because she was having so much fun playing with it. It totally felt like having a little kid as opposed to a baby who could care less about a basket - and that was actually really cool. 

We had both of our families over for brunch. I honestly didn't have to do much; I bought a fruit salad and made zippy cheese omlettes. The menu consisted of those plus monkey bread, ham, shrimp, biscuits and potatoes. My sister in law made an adorable bunny cake and she and my mom made cute Easter sugar cookies. Mimosas flowed, babies got passed around and a fun time was had. Hartley hunted for eggs and got so into it! Patrick and their cousin Mary are way too little to get in on the action so I didn't know if she'd be bored hunting solo but she definitely wasn't. She loved having everyone watch her and cheer her on. I'm hoping Patrick is into it next year because I think it'd be hilarious to watch a little egg hunt competition! 





After brunch, the babes napped. When they woke, we took the party back outside for more egg hunting and swing set fun. They didn't mind that it was sprinkling, and Brian and I decided it was totally appropriate to do a little misty, outside day-drinking. Keeping it classy for the neighbors, of course ;)



The weekend went by too quickly as always. Another first holiday came and went too fast. 


With all of that, we wish everyone a Happy Easter! Hope it was full of good eats, drinks and company! 

No comments:

Post a Comment