Wednesday, February 10, 2016

"Behind"

Brian took Hartley to the doctor on Saturday because she wasn't acting like herself. It turned out to just be cold but while he was there he got some news no parent wants to hear. The doctor said Hartley's language seemed behind.

Now I will say, Hartley knows ALOT, I actually think shes very intelligent for her age, but she definitely doesn't use her language very socially. She talks the most with me but around others she talks very little or babbles. The doctor was concerned with her babbling and said half of what Hartley says should be understandable to strangers. 

She asked Brian to have us write down the things Hartley says and bring it in to her two year check up next week.

Now I've been losing sleep over this - worrying that my child is behind. I'll admit before the doctor said this it has crossed my mind that there's a possibility that Hartley is on the spectrum. I flip flop between that possibility and this just being her personality. 

She's been very independent since birth. And while she does engage people she's generally most interested in doing her own thing. She lines things up. Shes very interested in numbers and counting. And my biggest concern - she rarely responds to her name. 

I'm starting to compile my list. I figured I'd share this - partially as therapy but partially as a record.

Here goes the list. 

Words Hartley knows and phrases she uses by catergories: 

- knows numbers up to 20 (she knows sequences but also out of context)
- knows alphabet (same as above)

Foods she knows:

Apple juice
Milk (nilk)
Waffle (faffle)
Banana (bah-nina)
Apple
Apple sauce
Corn
Green beans 
Hot dog
Cheese
Cheetos
Chips
Cookie
Cake
Crackers
Lemon (lemmie)
Eggs (eggies)
Pizza
Mac n cheese
Cup
Fork

Shapes:
Star
Circle
Octagon 

Colors:
Black (back)
White 
Brown
Pink
Purple
Green (geen)
Blue
Red
Orange
Yellow
(Says the word "colors" to refer to markers and crayons) 

People:

Mommy
Daddy
Poppy
Nana (Nina)
Winnie (our dog)
Nutty (my parents' dog)
Baby (has said Patrick a few times)

Anatomy:
Eyes
Nose
Mouth
Ears
Belly button (calls Be-boo)
(Knows where all of these are on herself, others and stuffed animals)

Words:
Hi
Bye bye
Good night (can say good night mommy/daddy)
Go to sleep (she says this then lays down and pretends to snore)
Asleep
Open
Help
More _______
More please
Wait
Stuck
Yeah 
No
Stop
Outside
Boots
Shoes
Sunglasses
Hat
Coat
Brush
School bus
Plane
Truck
Car
Choo choo (train)
Poo poo in dipe
Pee pee in dipe (dipe for diaper)
Sun
House
Ball
Flower
Ghost 
Witch
Hug
Kiss
"Good girl" - she says to us when we tell her no and then she does the right thing

Outside things:
Rock
Leaf
Slide
Pumpkin
Butterfly (fly) 

Animals and their sounds:
Cat
Kitty
Dog
Pup
Doggie
Horse
Cow
Pig
Owl
Sheep
Goat
Cheetah (very random!)
Frog (fog)
Bat
Monkey
Bear

Woof
Meow
Neigh
Baa
Moo
Ribbit
Hoo

Can request certain books, i.e. Will say "Five Black Cats" (favorite book) 

Knows pieces of songs and will sing very short phases, 1-3 word (ranges from toddler songs to Taylor swift - "bad blood")

Characters: 
Elmo
Cookie
Abby
Oscar
All Paw Patrol Characters
Some bubble guppies 

She does script her books - we read a variety of books but she has memorized some and will fill in the blanks. 

I love my girl. She seriously is the sweetest. And if there is something wrong, I know my job is to do whatever I can to help her. I'll likely be updating the blog to share what I learn! 





No comments:

Post a Comment