Monday, February 1, 2016

almost two

I literally don't know where to start this blog entry. I guess the best place to start is by stating this, Hartley Glenn is my soulmate. 

I remember when she was born I felt like I didn't know what I was doing. I questioned if things would ever come naturally, if I'd ever figure things out. She had a set of lungs on her, and I couldn't always soothe her. I had done so much research and yet when she got here I was a mess. Every new stage I felt like I was just guessing and fumbling. But something magical happened somewhere along the way over these last almost-two years. It clicked. I became the world's leading Hartley expert, and I genuinely feel I know her better than anyone. And I love her like no one else. I get her sensitivities and her silliness - she feels like my little soulmate of a daughter. 

At almost two, she is becoming more independent by the day. She asks me for things. It feels incredible to finally have this level of communication! I'm always so impressed when she says "mo peas" to me. This is Hartley speak for "more please". I often hear "mo cookies? Peas". "Bubbles peas". Shrieks of laughter as she calls out for "weeee" aka Winnie. I also always try to have on hand the other popular requests: apple juice, apple sauce, crackers, chips and bananas. Oh, and of course, pizza. 

At almost-two, Hartley loves baths and being read to. Her favorite toys include a wood puzzle, her little people farm, her tea set, shape flashcards (weird, I know), and her purses with fake phones, wallets and cosmetics. She loves to brush her teeth and her hair. She asks me to put bows in her hair. She loves stuffed animals - her very favorite being a white cat from nana and poppy. She loves all animals but especially cats. She loves wearing cat ears, pretending to be a cat and her favorite book is Five Black Cats, a gift from her great aunt Kathleen. 

She loves to dance. She loves to make random objects hats. 

She's almost always smiling and laughing. 

She's smart. She knows a lot of words. She knows her colors. I think she now has every letter of the alphabet. She can count to 20. She knows a lot of animals and the sounds they make. She knows a lot of various foods. She knows some shapes - her favorite to say is octagon, which always cracks me up because it seems like it'd be the hardest. She knows Mommy, Daddy, Winnie, Nana (she calls Nina), Poppy, Nutty - but Patrick is still "baby".

Her favorite tv shows are Sesame Street, Bubble Guppies and Paw Patrol. She spent all of December asking for "Elmo Day", which is what she called the movie Elmo's Christmas Countdown. She loves singing to a song in it called "Almost Christmas". 

Her girlie side is coming out a little more. She puts on necklaces and headbands. The other day I gave her her first make up lesson - how to put on Chapstick. But she also still loves cars, trucks and trains ("choo choos"). She loves playing in the dirt and hasn't met a puddle she didn't like!

I'm noticing her get a little more shy than she once was but we still make friends wherever she goes! 

I truly wish I could bottle this age up. I feel like I'm going to miss it the most some day. Some day she'll articulate her words clearly, and I won't see her playful spout of blonde hair racing around the house at lightening speed.  Until then I'm trying to soak up all the cuddles and all the toddler kisses I can get. Yes, I forgot her adorable kisses, which are just her saying "MUAH" and giving me her cheek to kiss.

I love my sweet little girl more than words could say. And my birthday wish for her this year is that she never loses her sunny disposition, her wild spirit and her never ending curiosity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment