Thursday, August 7, 2014

What I've Learned Over The Last 6 Months

Ok, clearly I'm not a motherhood expert. I don't claim to be. But I thought it might be fun to share what I've learned over 6 months of motherhood. Tomorrow I'll be updating on Hartley at 6 months. This is a little more about me and what the last half a year have been like as a mom.

I wish I had the brain power to put these in some sort of order but I don't. So here goes a random compilation of 6 months of learning.

1. That insantaneous love is not a myth. It is so incredible how your baby enters the world and you fall in love right away. It's indescribable but I guess I'll choose the word "amazing".

2. I had heard breastfeeding comes naturally, and I think for some women it really does. But I learned breastfeeding is hard, and it kind of hurts. Hartley and I never got past the painful, frustrating stage of breastfeeding.

3. Changing dirty diapers isn't as gross as other people make it sound.

4. Keeping number 3 in mind, put the right size diaper on your child. Don't squeeze them in to one too small. Just give the too small diapers to a friend with a smaller baby.

5. Wear a ponytail during the hours when your baby is awake.

6. Enjoy wearing earrings... when you're not around your baby.

7. Don't paint your nails during naptime. That's just asking your child to wake up while you have wet chemcials on your finger tips.

8. Don't buy baby clothes too far in advance. If someone told me my 6 month old would be wearing 12 month clothes I wouldn't have believed them. 

9. Related to 8, novelty clothing is a little overrated. Those first 3 months they really live in pajamas. And that's cool.

10. And since the last few have sounded like advice, you will get lots of advice. Take it with a smile. Then go home and raise your baby however you please.

11. Cutting a baby's nails is a bitch. It sucks. Do it when you're on top of your game. Yeah, I mean well rested, in a well lit area, with extreme focus.

12. Related to 11, the first time you cut your kid while clipping their nails, you feel like a terrible mother. Mom guilt is apparently very real, and it blows.

13. If cloth diapering, check the water pressure out before you use your diaper sprayer on full blast. It takes getting watered down poop all over yourself just one time to learn that one, and just let me trailblaze that one for you.

14. Babies are unpredictable creatures. DVR that show you really don't want to miss because bedtime can shift. And be flexible. You may think your baby should take that soild nap you've been looking forward to but naps are never guarnateed.

15. That toy your friend swears by might not work for your baby. Yeah, if your baby isn't a pacifiier baby, good luck trying to get them to take one. It might just not be in the stars.

16. Milestones on a timeline are just a rough esitmate. Babies can do things early or do things late, as long they they eventually do them, you're good. Don't worry until your doctor tells you it's time to worry. And even then, remember to keep it in perspective. 

17. Babies come in all shapes and sizes. Embrace that. I love my tank baby.

18. Spit up happens. Don't wear something you absolutely can't have stained. Brian changes out of his work clothes right after he walks in the door, and it has saved many a work outfit.

19. Phases are phases. They pass. It sucks and they seem horrible while they are going on, but they pass. And that advice won't make you feel better while they are going on. 

20. Diaper rash is awful. Giving your baby naked time is super smart.

21. At least one older person will give you the "in my day" line, and it will be obnoxious. But remind yourself they are trying to relate. You will probably do the same shit when 20 years from now "back is best" will be something else entirely. 

22. Keep wine or chocolate in your house. There will be days you need it.

23. Ask for a break when you need it.

24. Whenever someone offers help, take them up on it. This is not the time in your life to be super prideful. 

25. Walks and errands are good boredom busters.

26. Never wake a sleeping baby.

27. Motherhood is a rollercoaster. They will be wonderful days and there will be shitty days. On the wonderful ones, soak in every ounce. And on the shitty ones, remember this too shall pass, and remember how incredibly lucky you are to get to be a mother, even it's it's hard to remember in that instant.

There you have it. An odd number but 27 tidbits of wisedom. Yeah, I called it wisedom even though I've only been doing this gig for 6 months. I can't wait to see what they next 6 months teach me. I'm sure it'll be things I never expected. And Hartley and I will have a ball figuring them out.  

*** Oh, and as a bonus. Here is actually a tidbit of advice. Talk to another mom friend when you've hit a low point. If they're a good friend, they'll share their low point. And it makes you feel good to know you're not alone in this adventure of motherhood. ***







No comments:

Post a Comment