Wednesday, July 9, 2014

29.

So today I turned 29. All of a sudden I think my age sounds old. 29 no longer sounds like "that era in your 20s right after you graduate when you're figuring things out". It sounds like "you're almost 30, time to be a grown up". 

And actually, 28 was a lot of growing up. I think becoming a parent makes you grow up. That's not to say people without kids aren't grown ups, it's more that Hartley made me grow up a little more. 

And here I am at 29 and my life feels full to the brim. It truly is perfect. Well, my version of perfect anyway. 

I had a couple moments where I teared up today. Sappy and cliche, I know. 

But I had an epiphany. This is what life is about. This year I welcomed my daughter and learned what it means to be a mom. I have been so blessed and lucky to have made some fun new friends and remain blessed to have the old ones. Our families are happy, healthy and expanding due to 3 weddings within the next year or so. Brian and I continue to have so much fun together. He just keeps doing wonderfully at work. Life is good. We are so lucky. 

I'm getting older, and I joke about feeling the need to lie about my age. But there is no place I'd rather be in life. Well, maybe if you let me be 21 for one night I wouldn't complain. But in all seriousness, I think when people use that expression "these are the days", they are talking about where I am right now. These really are the days.

And on special days like today, I wonder what I did so right to be here. 

I am so thankful for all the people who made a point of saying happy birthday to me. It moves me to tears to know I have that many people in my life who think about me. I hope they all know that they mean a lot to me too.

Sorry, this entry was insanely mushy. Maybe 29 year olds are just mushy.

To be less mushy I'll say a few shallow things. I love all my awesome birthday gifts. I love that I ate like calories don't count today. And I love that I was that woman this year - I bought myself a couple presents, and I don't feel bad about it! 

Cheers to being another year older, and hopefully, wiser!

Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment