Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Starting 2017

Here we are - 2017. How is that even possible? I still see Lifetime movie descriptions with original air dates of the early 2000's and think, "oh good! A new one!" 

Even though time seems to just go faster the older I get (I'm assuming that due to the relativity of it to my life), I'm very happy for it to be 2017.

I actually hung my 2017 calendar a week before the new year started. I actually am fortunate not to be someone who had a bad 2016; I've addressed it on here as a "growing" year. But I'm one of those people who loves the restart button, the idea with a new bit of time, anything is possible. And how 2017 is my year to just be. Just exist and honestly, take a little better care of myself.

Brian and I recently talked about the tremendous amount of change we've undergone in the last handful of years. I feel like we've done it all: two moves, a couple promotions for Brian, big house renovations, fertility treatment, two pregnancies, two babies. He said how finally this year would finally be our year to just focus on health and happiness, which has me so excited about this year. 

I have some resolutions. The first three days of the new year I was a dieting queen but then today happened, and the carbs came right back to me. But my new way of looking at things is that there will be days like this, and that's okay as long as they are the exception and not the rule! While I genuinely love raising my babies, waking up sick myself and then having two babes with fevers and the snotty nose works isn't the easiest of days; if a frozen pizza lunch helps get us through, then so be it. In 2016, frozen pizza became a crutch more often than I even care to admit. This year I'm trying to reserve it more for the "survival days". 

In a little over a month, Hartley turns 3, and Patrick will be 1.5. While they are tiring, I'm pretty in love with these ages. I can't get over how Hartley has become so engaging: pointing things out to me and asking me questions. While every mom I know seems to be saddened by their child aging, I've just found myself relishing in it. I love watching her grow and learn and seeing her personality develop. I've said it before and I'll say it again - she truly is the sweetest kid. I've been sneezing up a storm today and she never lets a sneeze go without saying, "bless you, mama." Today we were watching Frozen, and Hartley turned to me with a concerned look on her face and said, "oh no, Anna's sad, mama." I'm actually floored at her starting to express such sweet, genuine concern for others. To anyone afraid of the "terrible twos", I'll say I've actually really loved two. There can certainly be tantrums but getting to watch your toddler develop into a little person is so amazing and rewarding. 

Now I will say with Hartley I was not a fan of the 15-18 month age range. This might have had something to do with it being sweltering and me being very pregnant. But it was an era in which her little body could physically get into so much trouble because her brain wasn't listening to me at all. So I've basically dreaded this chapter with Patrick. And honestly, it's been a fun chapter for me! This is the age where you really get your exercise but he doesn't run half as fast as Hartley did at this age, and he actually does listen to "stop" so it feels like a breeze in comparison!  He interested and curious when it comes to his surroundings but by nature he's a little cuddle bug so he's easy to reign in. Pick up a stack of books to read and put that boy in your lap, and he's happy as a clam. He is very much Hartley's shadow. He wants to do everything she does but the problem is the kids tries to eat EVERYTHING. With that said I feel I can safely say that Crayola is as non-toxic as they claim to be. 

2017 I have all these goals and ideas in mind. I actually bought myself a really pretty notebook so I can take to listing everything. A lot of the goals focus on me. Not just losing weight or exercise but taking care of my stress levels and mental/emotional health. I feel like that's all pretty connected. I decided to quit the bs of resolving to be a better mom. I'm not a perfect mom but I'm a really fantastic mom to my kids, and I actually think the area I need to work on is remembering myself from time to time. 

My 2017 victories so far: we made use of the 1 truly gorgeous day we had by spending family time outside at the park. I'm 3 for 4 for healthy home cooked dinners; 1 of those meals I was finally able to closely replicate my mom's curried shrimp recipe (I botched the hell of it in 2016!). I used our newly fixed elliptical during nap time (pre being sick). And today when everyone was sick and I felt like a miserable crab, I actually found the reset button: I put Patrick in his crib, put the tv on for Hartley, and I took a quick, hot shower. That was me breathing and restarting with a better attitude, focusing on a lazy day with my babies, and it worked! I know my successes are little ones and I know somedays won't be reset button salvageable, but I'm happy about 2017 so far. I'm very excited to see what lies ahead for my little family!

Also, I was really missing my shows, and I'm really happy they're back. Let's get real, The Bachelor makes Mondays better. And I need This Is Us in my life. 

But Happy start of 2017 to all! The best is yet to come! 





No comments:

Post a Comment